14 January 2009

the saga continues

Had myself a tragic afternoon. No air conditioning in our office at work and today was stinky hot so I was miserable all afternoon (I'm cranky in heat without being pregnant so you can imagine the crank factor while great with child), then I dashed to the train station with one minute to spare to catch my train. The air conditioning felt like heaven but it was so full I would have had to stand so I decided to be logical but annoying and leave that train and wait for the next one. The next one is 30 minutes later but that was supposed to be no big deal because it actually comes 20 minutes early so I thought it would be perfect to sit on an empty air conditioned train, reading my book & waiting for my journey home. But noooooo, for the first time ever my train didn't show up until 6.40pm - 10 minutes late. So then I had to crowd on with all the late-coming bozos but at least I had a seat ... BUT NO AIR CONDITIONING. I've never had one of the intercity trains without air conditioning until today. 1 1/2 hours in a train that doesn't have opening windows & no air con. Needless to say I had swollen feet tonight. 

But on to the happy stuff ...

Week 21: Banana
Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for hydration and nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies are most interested in tastes they've already experienced through amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you want your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.

Your baby could measure about 27cm from crown to heel. Her eyebrows and eyelids are fully developed and her fingernails now cover her fingertips. Watch what you say from now on because she will probably hear you. You can communicate by talking, singing or why not try reading aloud? Some studies suggest a newborn will suck more vigorously when you feed if you read from a book frequently heard in utero. Choose a children's classic, take a look at some of our parent's favourites or use one of your own books -- whatever you prefer.

I don't think I mentioned that I started reading Charlie & the Chocolate Factory to the baby a couple of weeks back. Don't get too excited, I've only read two very very short chapters. But now that he can actually hear me, I'll be doing that every night. AND forcing awesome food down my gullet so he'll be born with a cosmopolitan palette. What's that, young Mr. Eisele? More paneer saag? Sure, here you go. He's still going to be a turd who hates reading and foreign foods, isn't he? Oh well, it won't be my fault.

I think I had other things to tell you about but I can't remember them. Still no progress on a name but I think we've created a safety backup name in case we can't come up with anything else. I'm not telling you what it is in case we actually use it then you think we're morons who couldn't come up with anything else. I'm still waiting for your name submissions, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment