18 December 2008

The Onion

Made it to week 17. Have had a few weepy moments that normally wouldn't make me weepy so it seems about right that my child is currently an onion. At least it doesn't have wonky eyes anymore ...

Week 17: Onion Baby's skeleton is hardening, changing from rubbery cartilage to bone, and fat is finally accumulating around it. The umbilical cord is getting thicker and stronger, and those little fingers and toes are now topped by one-of-a-kind prints.

Things are really moving now. This week, your baby's eyes look forward instead of to the sides, her ears are almost in their final place, and the rubbery cartilage that will become her skeleton is about to start hardening into bone. Your baby is now 13 centimetres long from crown to rump and weighs approximately 140 grams. Her skeleton is mostly rubbery cartilage, which will harden later. A protective substance called myelin slowly begins to wrap around the spinal cord. Your growing uterus has shifted your centre of gravity and you've probably been feeling a bit off-kilter. Be careful and wear low-heeled shoes.

Finally at least I have an excuse to always wear flats besides the fact that I'm too un-classy and un-stylish to handle heels. I have been a bit light-headed and I have about a thousand mysterious little bruises on my legs so maybe I'm clumsier than I realize. And that pain in my hip is still coming & going & pissing me off. They tell me ("they" being the internet, of course) that it's sciatic nerve pain and I know that's more likely than the image in my head my smarmy baby leaning in the womb with its pointy devil elbow digging into my hip. I am going to get even with this little stinker one day, you mark my words.

I bought a couple of dresses last night to accommodate my growing tummy, which I will take a picture of one of these days. I think I'm getting a little more feminine with this whole pregnancy. I want to wear dresses and I suddenly have the urge to buy expensive nice makeup where I've always been fine with the usual crap up until now. I wonder if I could possibly be incubating a little socialite in my womb that's influencing my spending habits. Now I'm scared.

Otherwise, all is good. I'm actually very excited about pregnancy and the thought of all the accessories and furniture I have to buy. Oh and the thought of having an actual baby isn't so bad either, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment